I’m happy to announce that second release of my world-geojson repository is finally online. First release was about countries, and countries there included all the areas mentioned above. But in most cases when you say United Kingdom, you don’t think about Montserrat or South Sandwich islands, although they belong to the Crown. That’s what this release is about:
- countries being associated with or managed by another countries
- overseas territories
- regions not being part of a country mainland
Full list of the areas introduced in the release is in the bottom of this post.
I want to mention that it is quite tricky to choose which countries to split to areas, and which not to. So while doing that I used Google Places API to verify if the area is recognized. For example French Polynesia is recognized, so it was separated from France mainland. But if we take a look on Malaysia, we see that it’s split between two major islands. Informally they are called as “West Malaysia” and “East Malaysia”. However, Google Places don’t recognize such a query, so Malaysia remains as is in this release. Finally you might find it handy that all the areas are compatible with Google Places API.
Also second release contains several fixes for the countries boundaries too. Added US Virgin Islands, improved UK boundaries, added Mayotte and Reunion, etc.
Next release would be about countries states. That would be big, as Russia alone has about 90 states, and in addition to that there are US, China, India, Brasil, Indonesia and other countries. Don’t expect next release soon, but it will definitely come one day.
If you want to contribute in any way – advice, fix, additions – welcome to comments.
Full list of areas introduced in release 2.0.0:
- Denmark (3): Mainland/Greenland/Faroe Islands
- Ecuador (2): Mainland/Galápagos Islands
- France (18): Mainland/Corsica/French Guiana/Guadeloupe/Martinique/Mayotte/Réunion/Clipperton Island/French Polynesia/New Caledonia/Saint Barthélemy/Saint Martin/Saint Pierre and Miquelon/Wallis and Futuna/French Southern and Atlantic Lands
- Italy (3): Mainland/Sardinia/Sicily
- Netherlands (7): Mainland/Bonaire/Saba/Sint Eustatius/Aruba/Curaçao/Sin Maarten
- New Zealand (12): Mainland/North Island/South Island/Tokelau/Kermadec Islands/Chatham Islands/Three Kings Islands/Antipodes Islands/Auckland Islands/Bounty Islands/Campbell Island/Snares Islands
- Norway (3): Mainland/Svalbard/Jan Mayen
- Portugal (3): Mainland/Azores/Madeira
- Spain (3): Mailand/Canary Islands/Balearic Islands
- United Kingdom (21): United Kingdom/England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man/Guernsey/Jersey/Gibraltar/Akrotiri and Dhekelia/Bermuda/Turks and Caicos Islands/British Virgin Islands/Anguilla/Cayman Islands/Montserrat/Pitcairn Islands/Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha/British Indian Ocean Territory/Falkland Islands/South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- USA (17): Mainland (to be splitted to states)/Palmyra Atoll/Guam/Northern Mariana Islands/Puerto Rico/United States Virgin Islands/American Samoa/Baker Island/Howland Island/Jarvis Island/Johnston Atoll/Kingman Reef/Wake Island/Midway Atoll/Navassa Island/Serranilla Bank/Bajo Nuevo Bank